Skip to main content

Easy Shoji Screen Makeover

 Hi everyone! I hope all is well with you. Today I am going to take my almost 20-year-old shoji screen and transform it using just a few materials I had on hand. I purchased this shoji screen when living in Arizona. When my husband, and I moved around due to the military, this screen followed along with us. It has been through a lot. I decided over the weekend that I would give it a complete makeover. I'd love to share my experience with all of you. This project took one day to complete. I decided to keep the white shoji paper and work around it.




Materials 

Peel and stick wallpaper -The roll I am using was purchased at Lowe's during a sale they had. I believe it was $37 for the package. And it only takes one to complete this project
Paint- I'm using my leftover Valspar furniture and cabinet paint
Adhesive- E6000
Paintbrush
Ruler 
Scissors
Spray paint
Screwdriver






Start by applying paint to the frame on each section of your shoji screen. I only applied paint to the outer surfaces of my frames.
After applying paint to my first screen, I decided to take my hinges off to make things a bit easier when applying my paint.

Set your shoji screens aside, and allow them to fully dry. Depending on the paint, you will want to give your frames several coats of paint.



Next, take your spray paint and begin to apply your spray paint to all of your hinges, and screws. 



I gave my hinges around two coats of spray paint. Allow your hinges to fully dry.


Next, take your wallpaper out of the packaging and lay it flat. 


Begin to trace out the sections on your shoji screen. Using a ruler or a leveler, make sure that your lines are straight when you begin to trace. I turned my shoji screen over and laid my wallpaper on top. My husband used a leveler to make sure the lines we traced were straight. After tracing out the top, sides, and bottom of your screen, take your scissors and begin to cut out your paper.

Remove the backing on your wallpaper and add your wallpaper onto your shoji screen. I decided to add it onto the front side with the framed-out design. 


I used a ruler to smooth out any wrinkles when I started to add my wallpaper.  I would like to mention that I did leave the backing on the very top, and bottom of my wallpaper. I did this because my screen had a big enough gap between the top and bottom. I was able to use just a little adhesive and slide the wallpaper in on the top and bottom.  I only did this on the top, and bottom of my paper. 

You will need to determine if that would work with your screen. 

Repeat the above steps for the other two screens. 


Your shoji screen makeover is complete!  What a complete transformation! I was able to transform my almost 20-year-old shoji screen into something beautiful, and new. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crazy Little Lovebirds Link Party 158

  Welcome to The Crazy Little Love Birds Link Party #158! I'm so happy you're here! This gathering is all about sharing what brings us joy.  Bring your delicious recipes, fun family moments, cozy crafts, and home projects—basically, everything wonderful you've been working on. Congratulations to our featured bloggers Mod Crochet Loopy Hair Ties Pattern — Val & Holland Val & Holland made the cutest loopy hair ties, and they’re just such a fun, quick little crochet project.  An Unexpected Adventure — Jennifer Jennifer shared how a long‑dreamed‑of getaway with her husband turned into a true adventure — steep trails, gorgeous waterfalls, a few shaky moments, and plenty of faith guiding her through. Creamy Paprika Salad Dressing — Scratch-Made Food Melynda has a creamy paprika dressing that’s simple, flavorful, and perfect for everyday meals. One of those easy homemade staples you’ll want to keep around. Jahresprojekt 2026 – August — Mami Made It Mami Made It shared he...

The Crazy Little Lovebirds Link Party 160

    Welcome to The Crazy Little Love Birds Link Party #160! I'm so happy you're here! This gathering is all about sharing what brings us joy.  Bring your delicious recipes, fun family moments, cozy crafts, and home projects—basically, everything wonderful you've been working on. Hi everyone. Happy Friday! This week we got a lot of rain, and I am so thankful for it. How was your week? This party will run as usual, October 2-6. At the next party, I will have details about the dates of our upcoming travel and the upcoming parties.   I'm excited to share the amazing featured posts with you all. To explore each blog, simply click the image below each description. Congratulations to our featured bloggers Apples! Apples! Apples! – Simply Grand Recipes I'm so excited for fall. This post is a fun little roundup of easy apple treats: cozy dips, sweet bakes, and a fizzy apple drink that feels like fall in a cup. Be sure to visit Our Grand Lives and check out these fun reci...

Decoupage Bookmarks using Metal Tags

Create beautiful decoupage bookmarks using metal tags from Dollar Tree. This easy DIY project is perfect for all skill levels and adds a personal touch to your reading materials. Hello everyone! Today, I have an easy and quick craft idea to share with you that book lovers will surely appreciate. My daughters love reading books on their Kindles, but we still take regular trips to the library to check out physical copies of books they are interested in.  However, I wanted to try something new this time, so I went to the Dollar Tree store and found a pack of metal tags. Yes, you read that right - these bookmarks are made of metal, but don't worry, we can add some decorative details to make them more attractive.  Materials Metal tags (I purchased them at Dollar Tree) Acrylic paint Mod Podge Decorative napkins Paintbrush Twine Beads Inspirational stickers Scissors Applying paint to metal tags Begin by applying two coats of acrylic paint to both sides of each metal tag. Use a heatin...

Pictures from my garden and a few of my favorite gardening quotes.

Here are a few pictures from my garden, and a few of my favorite gardening quotes. Enjoy! "When you grow your garden, it grows you." -  T.F. Hodge Source Gardening is learning, learning, learning. That's the fun of them. You're always learning. -Helen Mirren Source Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food, and medicine for the soul. - Luther Burbank Source "A garden requires patient labor and attention. Plants do not grow merely to satisfy ambitions or to fulfill good intentions. They thrive because someone expended effort on them." - Liberty Hyde Bailey Source "Gardening is the art that uses flowers and plants as paint and the soil and sky as canvas." - Elizabeth Murray Source "Gardening always has been an art, essentially." -Robert Irwin Source “I must have flowers, always, and always.” ...

DIY Holiday Glass Candle Display- An Upcycled Craft

Learn how to create a beautiful holiday glass candle display using upcycled materials with this DIY craft project. Perfect for adding a festive touch to your home decor. Find step-by-step instructions and inspiration for this creative and sustainable holiday project. Recently, I have been feeling very festive and have been enjoying decorating, baking, and much more. I noticed that I had a few glass jars and old candle jars around my home, and I wanted to create something simple. I thought a candle display would be great and easy to create. If you have any pasta jars, old candle jars, or any glass jars, this craft is perfect for you! For this project, you will need the following materials: Frosted Glass Spray (I used Rust-Oleum) Gold wire Stretch cord (optional) Holiday greenery, berries, and any holiday decoration can be added Flameless tealights Mini ornaments (I used one for this project) You can find flameless tealights at your local Big Lots store. A pack of 10 with extra batteries...

All content copyright 2010-2026

I kindly request that my photos and words not be taken or used without my permission. If you have any inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact me. Additionally, for more information regarding this blog, please refer to the disclosure policy tab located above. Thank you.