Skip to main content

2 Easy Ways to Upcycle Glass Jars into DIY Candle Lanterns

I love taking something I already have around the house and giving it a little new life. These two jars started out plain and simple, but with a bit of gallery glass paint, a few butterfly stickers, and some gems, they turned into the sweetest little candle holders. They’re soft, colorful, and full of that handmade charm — the kind of gift that feels personal and thoughtful without being tied to any specific occasion. I used battery‑operated candles inside each jar, which gives them a warm, cozy glow while keeping things safe and easy. They’re perfect for gifting or adding a gentle touch of light to your own space.

Hand-painted floral and butterfly upcycled glass jar lanterns

Video tutorial coming soon...
Sometimes the smallest projects bring the softest kind of joy. In today’s quick video, I’m sharing how I decorated a few glass candle holders using paint, stickers, and little gem accents. It’s an easy, calming DIY that adds a warm glow to any corner of your home. I hope it inspires you to create something simple and beautiful for your own space.


Materials I Used

  • Glass jars (any size you have on hand)
  • Gallery Glass paint
  • Butterfly stickers
  • Gem trim or loose gems
  • Adhesive or sealant (optional)
  • Battery‑operated candles
  • Heat tool or time for drying
DIY supplies: glass jars, Gallery Glass paint, butterfly stickers, pink rhinestones, and twine on a white workspace.

Painting the Floral Jar

I started with the smaller jar and added simple stems and tiny flowers using black gallery glass paint. 

Three-step collage: Applying black Gallery Glass paint to a jar, detailing the design, and letting the paint dry.

Once the outlines were settled, I filled in the leaves and petals with soft colors. It’s such a calming process — the paint slowly levels out and dries into a pretty stained‑glass look. You can keep the design delicate and minimal, or add more color if you’re in the mood.

Collage showing 4 steps of filling in hand-painted flowers with colorful Gallery Glass paint on a jar.

A Little Note About Drying Time

Gallery Glass paint has its own recommended drying time, and ideally, you want to let each layer settle and dry naturally. It helps the paint level out beautifully and gives you that soft, stained‑glass look.

For the sake of filming and keeping the process moving, I used a small heating tool to speed things along. If you choose to do the same, just use a light hand and keep the heat moving so the paint doesn’t bubble. Otherwise, letting the jars dry on their own works perfectly — it just takes a bit more patience.

Decorating the Butterfly Jar

For the larger jar, I wanted something a little whimsical. I added a touch of white stained‑glass paint for a frosted look, then placed butterfly stickers around the jar. A bit of gem trim along the top added a gentle sparkle. This jar comes together quickly, and the butterflies look so sweet when the candlelight shines through.

Steps for embellishing a glass jar with butterflies, white paint, and rhinestone gems.

A Little Light to Brighten the Space

Both jars hold battery‑operated candles, which emit a warm, peaceful glow without a flame. They’re great for gifting, especially if you’re giving them to someone with kids, pets, or a space where real candles aren’t ideal.

These little jars make lovely gifts for birthdays, thank‑yous, housewarmings, or just because. They’re simple, relaxing to make, and easy to personalize with colors and designs that feel right to you. I hope this inspires you to slow down for a moment and create something beautiful with what you already have at home.


Comments

  1. How cute and clever it is to upcycle these jars. Love anything with butterflies and the ones you made are so pretty. Warm regards, Nancy Andres @ Colors 4 Health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, thank you! I love upcycled projects. Glass ones are so fun. Thank you for taking the time to visit. I'm happy you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  2. This is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! I have a pack of glass paint in my craft closet. I haven't opened it yet, this might be a great way for me to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, thank you! Oh yes, try it out. I'm sure you will just love it. It's such a fun way to display those battery-operated tealight candles.

      Delete
  4. My grand daughter's would love doing this project. This summer when I can spend time with them, we will give it a try. Thank you for sharing.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, thank you! Aw, I am sure you will have so much fun with your granddaughters over the summer. This project is a fun one too! Thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  5. So cute! Thinking of making these with my granddaughter. Thanks, Steph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I am sure you and your granddaughter would have so much fun creating these. Thank you for visiting. 😊🤗

      Delete
  6. Your jar lanterns are so sweet! Love all the different ways you've embellished a simple jar to look so incredibly special!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are just so darling. There is just something about the shape of that yogurt jar that makes me want to go buy it just to make this. :) Visiting from Funtastic Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome! I love hearing your thoughts and seeing what you’ve been up to. Please leave a comment or ask a question below—I do my best to respond to everyone! To keep the blog comments safe and inspiring, spam will be removed. Thank you for being a part of this blogging space!

Popular posts from this blog

The Crazy Little Lovebirds Link Party 158

  Welcome to The Crazy Little Love Birds Link Party #158! I'm so happy you're here! This gathering is all about sharing what brings us joy.  Bring your delicious recipes, fun family moments, cozy crafts, and home projects—basically, everything wonderful you've been working on. Congratulations to our featured bloggers Mod Crochet Loopy Hair Ties Pattern — Val & Holland Val & Holland made the cutest loopy hair ties, and they’re just such a fun, quick little crochet project.  An Unexpected Adventure — Jennifer Jennifer shared how a long‑dreamed‑of getaway with her husband turned into a true adventure — steep trails, gorgeous waterfalls, a few shaky moments, and plenty of faith guiding her through. Creamy Paprika Salad Dressing — Scratch-Made Food Melynda has a creamy paprika dressing that’s simple, flavorful, and perfect for everyday meals. One of those easy homemade staples you’ll want to keep around. Jahresprojekt 2026 – August — Mami Made It Mami Made It shared he...

The Crazy Little Lovebirds Link Party 159

  Welcome to The Crazy Little Love Birds Link Party #159! I'm so happy you're here! This gathering is all about sharing what brings us joy.  Bring your delicious recipes, fun family moments, cozy crafts, and home projects—basically, everything wonderful you've been working on. Happy Friday, everyone! How's the weather where you live? We're enjoying some cooler temperatures, and the foliage on my trees is starting to change colors. I can't believe we're almost in October! We have an exciting trip planned for next month. I'll be working around the dates of our trip and the link party. As always, thank you all for joining the party; I truly appreciate each of you! Lisa Notes – What I Left Beneath Two Trees Lisa shared a reflective moment about planting two trees and letting go of what weighs us down. If you love quiet reminders to breathe and reset, you’ll enjoy this. Esme Salon – Sizzling Seafood Rice Feast Looking for a new recipe? This seafood rice dish ...

Easy Succulent Centerpiece Table Decoration

 Easy Succulent Centerpiece Table Decoration Create a beautiful and low-maintenance centerpiece for your table with this easy DIY faux succulent decoration. Perfect for adding a touch of greenery to any space without the need for watering or maintenance. Hello! I'm so happy that you decided to check out this easy succulent decoration project.   I was inspired to create this centerpiece after my sister mentioned she was looking at purchasing a succulent wax burner.  So my design does not include a wax burner, but if you stick around I'll tell you how you can create your very own succulent centerpiece table decoration.  Materials Needed ❤ Artificial Succulents and a flower  For my design, I used 4 succulent plants I purchased my  artificial succulents from my local Walmart (Make sure to check your local dollar store as well) ❤ A wooden bowl I purchased my wooden bowl at Walmart.  You can actually find any container of your choice at your local craft...

Simple, Creative, Pretty Gift Wrap Ideas.- A DIY Post.

Are you looking for some creative gift wrap ideas? If so, you have come to the right place. There's no better way to create a personalized package for someone special than this. It's simple, fun, and the result will be loved by you and the recipient. This craft allows you to use up any leftover materials, such as buttons, beads, and flower embellishments that you may have in storage. Here are the materials you'll need: - Craft flowers (paper, silk or foam) - Twine, string or ribbon - Craft hearts (fabric, foam or sticker) - Garland (any type) - Craft clothespins (any color) - Stamps and ink (any color and design) - Washi tape (decorative tape) - Hot glue or any craft glue - Plain gift wrap paper/tissue paper (any material) - Scissors To create your own wrapping paper, begin by cutting a piece that is the appropriate size for the box you are wrapping. Then, carefully wrap the paper around the box and use decorative tape to secure it. Now, it's time...

Easy Floral Decoupage Idea for Faux Pumpkin Display

 Hi everyone! I'm excited to share a simple and easy floral pumpkin design you can create quickly. Today, we will make a faux floral pumpkin display using decoupage and a few additional designs. I'm reusing a foam pumpkin that I bought at Dollar Tree. If you’re ready, let’s begin creating an easy floral decoupage faux pumpkin display! Quick video tutorial **Materials needed:** - Acrylic paint - Paintbrush - Floral napkin - Faux pearls - Faux flowers - Craft knife - Scissors - Mod Podge Carefully remove the top of your pumpkin. I used my craft knife to go around the top section, creating a hole at the top. Using a paintbrush, apply acrylic paint to the pumpkin. I chose to paint mine black. Next, use scissors to cut out a few flowers from your napkin. Make sure to remove the second layer of the napkin before cutting out the designs.   Once you have your floral designs cut out, use a paintbrush to apply Mod Podge to the pumpkin. While the Mod Podge is wet, add the floral napkin c...

All content copyright 2010-2026

I kindly request that my photos and words not be taken or used without my permission. If you have any inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact me. Additionally, for more information regarding this blog, please refer to the disclosure policy tab located above. Thank you.