Skip to main content

DIY Tea Tin Planter for Sweet Mint

Today’s tiny DIY win: turning an empty lemon‑ginger tea tin into a planter for a sweet mint plant that needed some love. I cleaned the tin, added drainage, and nestled the mint inside. It instantly brightened up the space — the colors on the tin and the fresh green leaves look so sweet together. I love giving everyday items a second life, especially when they end up this cute.


Quick Video Tutorial 

I began this little project by cleaning out an empty metal tea container that I had saved. It still held a soft scent of lemon and ginger, and I loved the idea of giving it a second life. Once I washed and dried it, the container felt ready for a new purpose.

 

Next, I used a finishing nail and a hammer to create a few drainage holes in the bottom of the tin. Since metal containers don’t have natural drainage, this step helps keep the roots healthy and prevents the soil from becoming soggy.

Having prepared the container, I carefully removed the sweet mint from its original pot. The roots were compacted and dry, so I took my time loosening them before placing the plant in its new home. I added fresh soil around the base and gave it a generous drink of water, as it definitely needed it.


Once everything was set up, I placed the little mint planter in a bright spot with indirect light. It perked up quickly, and now the cheerful tea tin alongside the vibrant green leaves creates a delightful pairing. This serves as a simple reminder that small acts of care can revive something. 

 Since this little project began with a tea tin, it feels fitting to enjoy the mint in a refreshing drink. If you'd like to try one of my favorite ways to use fresh mint, I've shared my cold mint tea recipe in a separate post.— You can find it here.


Pin Share Save

Comments

  1. What a sweet repurposed project. Your plant will adore its new home.
    :D
    Cher xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cher, thank you so much. Glad you enjoyed this DIY project. 😊

      Delete
  2. I'm doing this for my herbs. It's functional and cute. Thank you for sharing. - Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, thank you. Your herbs 🌿 will love their new home.

      Delete
  3. Great upcycle! A pretty tin- and a cute mint plant - both get a new life. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very nice way to recyle a tea tin! It is wise to keep mint in a container as it grows and spreads like crazy in a garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, thank you. You are absolutely correct; they can spread in a garden, as I have experienced this before. I tend to go for containers when planting them. It also makes it easier when I want to harvest a few leaves and the container is on the back porch. Thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  5. What a great idea to use an empty tea time for a planter for mint. Way to go. Nancy Andres @ Colors 4 Health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, thank you! I appreciate your visit to the blog. :)

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely idea! The bright mint leaves look so good with the colours of the tin too. I'm curious, could you use the lid of the tin as a bottom tray to catch water or is it too tight to fit the bottom of the tin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Char, thank you! That's a great question. The lid is a tight fit when trying to add it to the bottom. I ended up using a clear plastic container from my local Dollar Tree store. It catches the water wonderfully, and then I reuse that water to water other plants. It works out great. Thank you for visiting. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  7. How cute is that?! The tin and plant go together so beautifully. I need to use up the tea in my tea tin so I can do this! I'm happy to tell you I'm featuring this on Thursday Favorite Things today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, oh, thank you so very much. I'm so glad you enjoyed this project. I've tried leaving you a comment on your blog to say thank you, but it keeps saying "spam detected" when I try. But a big thank you for the feature. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  8. Popped over from the Thursday Favorite party to admire this clever upcycle. Tea and plants are two of my favorite things.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a great idea! Love it. Thanks for sharing this with us at the Will Blog for Comments #86 linkup. Wishing you a lovely week to come. Hope to see you at #87 which opens next Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm featuring you when the next To Grandma's house we go link party starts, thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome! I love hearing your thoughts and seeing what you’ve been up to. Please leave a comment or ask a question below—I do my best to respond to everyone! To keep the blog comments safe and inspiring, spam will be removed. Thank you for being a part of this blogging space!

Popular posts from this blog

The Crazy Little Lovebirds Link Party 158

  Welcome to The Crazy Little Love Birds Link Party #158! I'm so happy you're here! This gathering is all about sharing what brings us joy.  Bring your delicious recipes, fun family moments, cozy crafts, and home projects—basically, everything wonderful you've been working on. Congratulations to our featured bloggers Mod Crochet Loopy Hair Ties Pattern — Val & Holland Val & Holland made the cutest loopy hair ties, and they’re just such a fun, quick little crochet project.  An Unexpected Adventure — Jennifer Jennifer shared how a long‑dreamed‑of getaway with her husband turned into a true adventure — steep trails, gorgeous waterfalls, a few shaky moments, and plenty of faith guiding her through. Creamy Paprika Salad Dressing — Scratch-Made Food Melynda has a creamy paprika dressing that’s simple, flavorful, and perfect for everyday meals. One of those easy homemade staples you’ll want to keep around. Jahresprojekt 2026 – August — Mami Made It Mami Made It shared he...

The Crazy Little Lovebirds Link Party 159

  Welcome to The Crazy Little Love Birds Link Party #159! I'm so happy you're here! This gathering is all about sharing what brings us joy.  Bring your delicious recipes, fun family moments, cozy crafts, and home projects—basically, everything wonderful you've been working on. Happy Friday, everyone! How's the weather where you live? We're enjoying some cooler temperatures, and the foliage on my trees is starting to change colors. I can't believe we're almost in October! We have an exciting trip planned for next month. I'll be working around the dates of our trip and the link party. As always, thank you all for joining the party; I truly appreciate each of you! Lisa Notes – What I Left Beneath Two Trees Lisa shared a reflective moment about planting two trees and letting go of what weighs us down. If you love quiet reminders to breathe and reset, you’ll enjoy this. Esme Salon – Sizzling Seafood Rice Feast Looking for a new recipe? This seafood rice dish ...

The Crazy Little Lovebirds Link Party 160

    Welcome to The Crazy Little Love Birds Link Party #160! I'm so happy you're here! This gathering is all about sharing what brings us joy.  Bring your delicious recipes, fun family moments, cozy crafts, and home projects—basically, everything wonderful you've been working on. Hi everyone. Happy Friday! This week we got a lot of rain, and I am so thankful for it. How was your week? This party will run as usual, October 2-6. At the next party, I will have details about the dates of our upcoming travel and the upcoming parties.   I'm excited to share the amazing featured posts with you all. To explore each blog, simply click the image below each description. Congratulations to our featured bloggers Apples! Apples! Apples! – Simply Grand Recipes I'm so excited for fall. This post is a fun little roundup of easy apple treats: cozy dips, sweet bakes, and a fizzy apple drink that feels like fall in a cup. Be sure to visit Our Grand Lives and check out these fun reci...

DIY Floral Wooden Jack‑O’‑Lanterns (Easy Fall Decor)

I’ve been having so much fun creating fall projects this year. These floral wooden jack‑o’‑lanterns  started as simple wooden pumpkins, but with a few pretty transfers and some soft paint colors, they turned into the sweetest little fall accents. I love how the florals give them a cozy, cottage‑style feel while still keeping that classic jack‑o’‑lantern charm. They’re quick to make, easy to customize, and such a cute way to add a warm autumn touch to your home. Watch the video tutorial Materials Wooden pumpkin cutouts Floral transfers Acrylic paint (your chosen colors) Gold acrylic paint Green acrylic paint Mini dowels Hot glue gun + glue sticks Small wooden stands Brown acrylic paint Paintbrushes   Add the floral transfers I started by placing my floral transfers onto each wooden pumpkin, just arranging them until they felt right. Once they were where I wanted them, I used a little rubbing tool to press them down and transfer the design onto the wood. Take your time with this...

Easy Succulent Centerpiece Table Decoration

 Easy Succulent Centerpiece Table Decoration Create a beautiful and low-maintenance centerpiece for your table with this easy DIY faux succulent decoration. Perfect for adding a touch of greenery to any space without the need for watering or maintenance. Hello! I'm so happy that you decided to check out this easy succulent decoration project.   I was inspired to create this centerpiece after my sister mentioned she was looking at purchasing a succulent wax burner.  So my design does not include a wax burner, but if you stick around I'll tell you how you can create your very own succulent centerpiece table decoration.  Materials Needed ❤ Artificial Succulents and a flower  For my design, I used 4 succulent plants I purchased my  artificial succulents from my local Walmart (Make sure to check your local dollar store as well) ❤ A wooden bowl I purchased my wooden bowl at Walmart.  You can actually find any container of your choice at your local craft...

All content copyright 2010-2026

I kindly request that my photos and words not be taken or used without my permission. If you have any inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact me. Additionally, for more information regarding this blog, please refer to the disclosure policy tab located above. Thank you.