Skip to main content

Delicious Fall Recipe: Roasting Pumpkin Seeds

🎃 Delicious Fall Recipe: Roasting Pumpkin Seeds

If you're anything like me, your favorite season is Autumn, and I get excited when making fall snacks and new recipes. My family loves it when I roast pumpkin seeds for a quick and easy snack. Roasting pumpkin seeds is one of those simple pleasures that turns seasonal scraps into a crunchy, crave-worthy snack. Here's my step-by-step method—with measurements—to help you make the perfect batch.


Step 1: Scoop Out the Seeds


Begin by carefully using a sharp kitchen knife to slice off the top portion of your pumpkin, making your cut around the stem to create a wide enough opening for easy access to the interior. 

Once the top is removed, reach inside the pumpkin to extract the seeds. You can do this with your bare hands, but I prefer wearing a latex glove to keep things clean and comfortable—though this step is entirely optional.

 Alternatively, you can use tools like an ice cream scooper, a sturdy fork, or a specialized pumpkin seed remover to help loosen and lift the seeds.

 As you scoop, try to separate the seeds from the stringy pulp as much as possible. Don’t worry if some pulp remains attached—we’ll take care of that during the cleaning process.


 Step 2: Soak, Rinse, and Boil.


Once you've separated the pumpkin seeds from the pulp, transfer them into a medium-sized mixing bowl and pour in about one cup of cold water—just enough to fully submerge the seeds. Using a spoon or your fingers, gently stir the seeds in the water to help loosen any remaining bits of pulp clinging to them.


Let the seeds soak for approximately ten minutes; this will soften any stubborn residue and make them easier to clean. After soaking, pour the contents of the bowl into a fine mesh strainer and rinse the seeds thoroughly under cold running water, using your fingers to remove any lingering pulp.


Next, transfer the cleaned seeds into a small pot and add two cups of water along with one teaspoon of salt. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil and let the seeds simmer for about five minutes—this step helps tenderize the shells and infuse a subtle salty flavor.


 Once boiled, drain the seeds again using the strainer and spread them out in a single layer on a paper towel. Allow them to air dry for ten minutes; this brief drying period helps prepare the seeds for even roasting later on.



☕ While they dry, enjoy a warm cup of tea or coffee!

Step 3: Season and Bake


Begin by preheating your oven to 375°F (190°C), ensuring it reaches the proper temperature for even roasting. While the oven warms up, prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper—this helps prevent sticking and makes cleanup a breeze. 
Once your pumpkin seeds have dried, spread them out in a single, even layer across the parchment-lined sheet. Drizzle the seeds with 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil, making sure each seed gets a light coating to help the seasonings adhere and promote crispiness during baking.


Now it’s time to choose your flavors.

 I went with a bold, savory blend that packs a punch: 

- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes for a touch of heat
- ½ teaspoon of paprika for smokiness
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder for depth
- ½ teaspoon of rotisserie chicken seasoning for a rich finish.


 Sprinkle these seasonings evenly over the oiled seeds, then use a spoon or your hands to toss everything together until the seeds are well coated.

Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast the seeds for 30 minutes. After the initial bake, remove the sheet and give the seeds a gentle stir to ensure they roast evenly. Return them to the oven for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, watching closely until they turn golden brown and develop a satisfying crunch.

Step 4: Cool and Store


Once your pumpkin seeds have finished roasting and reached that perfect golden crisp, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool completely at room temperature. 
Spread them out in a single layer on the baking sheet or a clean surface to ensure even cooling, which helps preserve their crunch and prevents condensation from forming. Give them about 30 minutes to cool down fully—this step is important for maintaining texture and flavor. 


After they’ve cooled, transfer the seeds into an airtight container, such as a glass jar or resealable plastic container, to keep them fresh and crunchy for days to come. Store the container in a cool, dry place, and enjoy your homemade snack whenever the craving strikes!

Enjoy your roasted pumpkin seeds as a snack, salad topper, or cozy movie-night treat. 


Pin Share Save


Featured on



Comments

  1. I haven’t done this in ages — and never with spices! Thank you for the reminder. This year I’m definitely saving the seeds and giving your version a try 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mariama, oh yes, please give it a try. I think you will enjoy it. We like to add spice, and in some batches, we make it sweet with cinnamon and brown sugar. Thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  2. Oh, what fun! I haven't done this in probably 25 years. It brings back good memories. Visiting from SSPS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie, aw, I am glad it brought back good memories. We love doing this every fall. It's become a tradition for us. Thank you for visiting. 🙂

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a fun project to do with the grandkids. Tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan. Thank you. Yes, it's very hands-on when preparing this recipe, and there are so many tasty variations too. Thank you for visiting. 🙂

      Delete
  4. wonderful recipe Step. I haven't made these in years. Thanks for sharing. I am happy to feature these at Love Your Creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thank you! I'm happy you enjoyed it. Take care and have a wonderful week. I'll be sure to stop by the party.

      Delete
  5. I'm featuring you this week when the next To Grandma's house we go link party starts - thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tarahlynn, thank you, and sorry for the late response!

      Delete
  6. That sounds delicious with the spices and looks so festive too!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soma, thank you. It is full of flavor. Thank you for visiting. I appreciate it. 🙂

      Delete
  7. Pinned this post. Love the recipe for seasoning, except I'd use a VEGAN flavored mixed spice like Mrs. Dash or Salt Free Italian Blend instead of chicken. Warm regards, Nancy Andres @ Colors 4 Health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, the rotisserie chicken seasoning is a blend of spices like salt, onion, paprika, garlic, and other seasonings, with no animal products listed in its ingredients. McCormick has also stated that as well. But yes, vegan options work as well. Thanks so much for visiting. Maybe I should make a note for those who might think it contains animal products. Take care and thank you for pinning.

      Delete
  8. Oh my, it's been ages since I had roasted pumpkin seeds. Your flavor combo sounds so good too.
    Thanks so much for sharing with Sweet Tea & Friends this month dear friend. I'm so happy you're here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always wanted to try doing this. Pinning to save and share. :) Sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing this post with us at the Will Blog for Comments #72 linkup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, yes, give it a try. It makes a great snack, and I love how you can explore different seasonings.

      Delete
  10. Happy December Steph! Just popping back over to let you know I'll be featuring your roasted pumpkin seeds at out Sweet Tea & friend's December Link Up.
    {{Hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never knew you need to boil these before roasting? I haven't made them in years but this is a wonderful reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariama, I've actually tried both methods, non-boiled and boiled, and I know that adding salt to the boiled water and seeds helps season the inside of the shell as well. Also, I've noticed that when boiled, you get a less chewy texture than when you don't boil it. I hope that helps. 🤗

      Delete

Post a Comment

Welcome! I love hearing your thoughts and seeing what you’ve been up to. Please leave a comment or ask a question below—I do my best to respond to everyone! To keep the blog comments safe and inspiring, spam will be removed. Thank you for being a part of this blogging space!

Popular posts from this blog

The Crazy Little Lovebirds Link Party 158

  Welcome to The Crazy Little Love Birds Link Party #158! I'm so happy you're here! This gathering is all about sharing what brings us joy.  Bring your delicious recipes, fun family moments, cozy crafts, and home projects—basically, everything wonderful you've been working on. Congratulations to our featured bloggers Mod Crochet Loopy Hair Ties Pattern — Val & Holland Val & Holland made the cutest loopy hair ties, and they’re just such a fun, quick little crochet project.  An Unexpected Adventure — Jennifer Jennifer shared how a long‑dreamed‑of getaway with her husband turned into a true adventure — steep trails, gorgeous waterfalls, a few shaky moments, and plenty of faith guiding her through. Creamy Paprika Salad Dressing — Scratch-Made Food Melynda has a creamy paprika dressing that’s simple, flavorful, and perfect for everyday meals. One of those easy homemade staples you’ll want to keep around. Jahresprojekt 2026 – August — Mami Made It Mami Made It shared he...

The Crazy Little Lovebirds Link Party 159

  Welcome to The Crazy Little Love Birds Link Party #159! I'm so happy you're here! This gathering is all about sharing what brings us joy.  Bring your delicious recipes, fun family moments, cozy crafts, and home projects—basically, everything wonderful you've been working on. Happy Friday, everyone! How's the weather where you live? We're enjoying some cooler temperatures, and the foliage on my trees is starting to change colors. I can't believe we're almost in October! We have an exciting trip planned for next month. I'll be working around the dates of our trip and the link party. As always, thank you all for joining the party; I truly appreciate each of you! Lisa Notes – What I Left Beneath Two Trees Lisa shared a reflective moment about planting two trees and letting go of what weighs us down. If you love quiet reminders to breathe and reset, you’ll enjoy this. Esme Salon – Sizzling Seafood Rice Feast Looking for a new recipe? This seafood rice dish ...

Easy Succulent Centerpiece Table Decoration

 Easy Succulent Centerpiece Table Decoration Create a beautiful and low-maintenance centerpiece for your table with this easy DIY faux succulent decoration. Perfect for adding a touch of greenery to any space without the need for watering or maintenance. Hello! I'm so happy that you decided to check out this easy succulent decoration project.   I was inspired to create this centerpiece after my sister mentioned she was looking at purchasing a succulent wax burner.  So my design does not include a wax burner, but if you stick around I'll tell you how you can create your very own succulent centerpiece table decoration.  Materials Needed ❤ Artificial Succulents and a flower  For my design, I used 4 succulent plants I purchased my  artificial succulents from my local Walmart (Make sure to check your local dollar store as well) ❤ A wooden bowl I purchased my wooden bowl at Walmart.  You can actually find any container of your choice at your local craft...

Simple, Creative, Pretty Gift Wrap Ideas.- A DIY Post.

Are you looking for some creative gift wrap ideas? If so, you have come to the right place. There's no better way to create a personalized package for someone special than this. It's simple, fun, and the result will be loved by you and the recipient. This craft allows you to use up any leftover materials, such as buttons, beads, and flower embellishments that you may have in storage. Here are the materials you'll need: - Craft flowers (paper, silk or foam) - Twine, string or ribbon - Craft hearts (fabric, foam or sticker) - Garland (any type) - Craft clothespins (any color) - Stamps and ink (any color and design) - Washi tape (decorative tape) - Hot glue or any craft glue - Plain gift wrap paper/tissue paper (any material) - Scissors To create your own wrapping paper, begin by cutting a piece that is the appropriate size for the box you are wrapping. Then, carefully wrap the paper around the box and use decorative tape to secure it. Now, it's time...

DIY Floral Wooden Jack‑O’‑Lanterns (Easy Fall Decor)

I’ve been having so much fun creating fall projects this year. These floral wooden jack‑o’‑lanterns  started as simple wooden pumpkins, but with a few pretty transfers and some soft paint colors, they turned into the sweetest little fall accents. I love how the florals give them a cozy, cottage‑style feel while still keeping that classic jack‑o’‑lantern charm. They’re quick to make, easy to customize, and such a cute way to add a warm autumn touch to your home. Watch the video tutorial Materials Wooden pumpkin cutouts Floral transfers Acrylic paint (your chosen colors) Gold acrylic paint Green acrylic paint Mini dowels Hot glue gun + glue sticks Small wooden stands Brown acrylic paint Paintbrushes   Add the floral transfers I started by placing my floral transfers onto each wooden pumpkin, just arranging them until they felt right. Once they were where I wanted them, I used a little rubbing tool to press them down and transfer the design onto the wood. Take your time with this...

All content copyright 2010-2026

I kindly request that my photos and words not be taken or used without my permission. If you have any inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact me. Additionally, for more information regarding this blog, please refer to the disclosure policy tab located above. Thank you.