Skip to main content

From Trash to Treasure: DIY Faux Stained Glass Garden Decor

 Today, I’m so excited to share a heart-centered project that turns a simple household item into an elevated piece of garden art. We are transforming a basic plastic plate into a vibrant, faux stained glass sun-catcher that sparkles in the sun.
This project perfectly captures the "treasure from trash" philosophy, proving that you don’t need expensive materials to create something beautiful for your outdoor space.


Video tutorial coming soon


Materials for Your Garden Treasure
  • Clear Plastic Plate: Start with a basic household item ready for upcycling.
  •  Black Glass Paint: This will be used to trace your intricate floral design.
  •  Transparent Glass Paints: I chose a palette of soft lavender, pink, and emerald green for a natural look.
  •  Heat Tool: This is essential for setting your paint layers quickly so you can keep creating.
  •  Hanging Tools: You can use a hole punch, a soldering iron, or even a hot glue gun, depending on your preference.
  • Twine: This provides a simple, rustic way to hang your finished piece.

Begin by tracing your chosen floral pattern onto the center of the plate using the black glass gallery paint. Don’t feel pressured to make every line perfect; the beauty of a hand-drawn design is that it adds a personal, authentic charm to your garden treasure. 
Once you are happy with your outlines, use a heat tool to gently dry the black paint. This step is vital because it sets the "lead" lines of your faux stained glass, ensuring your colorful paints won't smudge or bleed into the black borders when you start the next phase.

 I started by filling in the flower petals with soft pinks and lavenders to create a gentle, inviting feel. Before moving on to the final background colors, I added a light green shade around the outer center section of the plate to give the piece extra depth and dimension. To finish the coloring, I used a lighter green for the leaves to bring a natural, earthy touch that ties the whole floral scene together.

To ensure your sun-catcher has that heart-centered, sunny feeling, fill the remaining background area with a soft yellow paint. This specific shade is wonderful for catching the light and creating a beautiful glow once it is hanging in your outdoor space. I added white gallery paint around the outer surface of the plate. 


Displaying your art is just as important as the artwork itself. I usually use a hole punch to create a hanging point at the top of the piece. Having used this method many times, I feel confident in the results it provides. 
It is worth noting that while there may be small areas that leave a mark or slight stress lines when you use the hole puncher, I have never had the plastic crack all the way through.

However, if you're worried about the plastic cracking or if you prefer a different look, there are several great alternatives! You can use a soldering iron to melt a precise, smooth hole through the plastic with ease. If you don't have specialized tools, you can also take the end of a hot glue gun and press it firmly into the plastic to create a small hole.



Once your opening is ready, simply thread a piece of twine through it, and your upcycled treasure will be ready to brighten up your porch or garden. I hung my design on a garden hook that I added to my pot of faux yellow pansies.

I love seeing how you all bring these tutorials to life in your own creative blogging spaces. Whether you're hanging this on a porch or nestled among your spring flowers, it's a lovely reminder of the beauty we can create from the simplest things.

Pin Share Save


Comments

  1. That's very pretty. Looks like real stained glass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely gorgeous, Stephanie! Love how you made it! Visiting from Create-It Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, thank you so much. I appreciate it. 😊🤗

      Delete
  3. That's such a sweet makeover, it is transformed! Such a clever technique too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my this is so pretty Steph! Love it.
    Visiting today from SSPS,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ps: Thanks so much for sharing with Sweet Tea & Friends this month Sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome! I love hearing your thoughts and seeing what you’ve been up to. Please leave a comment or ask a question below—I do my best to respond to everyone! To keep the blog comments safe and inspiring, spam will be removed. Thank you for being a part of this blogging space!

Popular posts from this blog

The Crazy Little Lovebirds Link Party 158

  Welcome to The Crazy Little Love Birds Link Party #158! I'm so happy you're here! This gathering is all about sharing what brings us joy.  Bring your delicious recipes, fun family moments, cozy crafts, and home projects—basically, everything wonderful you've been working on. Congratulations to our featured bloggers Mod Crochet Loopy Hair Ties Pattern — Val & Holland Val & Holland made the cutest loopy hair ties, and they’re just such a fun, quick little crochet project.  An Unexpected Adventure — Jennifer Jennifer shared how a long‑dreamed‑of getaway with her husband turned into a true adventure — steep trails, gorgeous waterfalls, a few shaky moments, and plenty of faith guiding her through. Creamy Paprika Salad Dressing — Scratch-Made Food Melynda has a creamy paprika dressing that’s simple, flavorful, and perfect for everyday meals. One of those easy homemade staples you’ll want to keep around. Jahresprojekt 2026 – August — Mami Made It Mami Made It shared he...

The Crazy Little Lovebirds Link Party 159

  Welcome to The Crazy Little Love Birds Link Party #159! I'm so happy you're here! This gathering is all about sharing what brings us joy.  Bring your delicious recipes, fun family moments, cozy crafts, and home projects—basically, everything wonderful you've been working on. Happy Friday, everyone! How's the weather where you live? We're enjoying some cooler temperatures, and the foliage on my trees is starting to change colors. I can't believe we're almost in October! We have an exciting trip planned for next month. I'll be working around the dates of our trip and the link party. As always, thank you all for joining the party; I truly appreciate each of you! Lisa Notes – What I Left Beneath Two Trees Lisa shared a reflective moment about planting two trees and letting go of what weighs us down. If you love quiet reminders to breathe and reset, you’ll enjoy this. Esme Salon – Sizzling Seafood Rice Feast Looking for a new recipe? This seafood rice dish ...

Easy Succulent Centerpiece Table Decoration

 Easy Succulent Centerpiece Table Decoration Create a beautiful and low-maintenance centerpiece for your table with this easy DIY faux succulent decoration. Perfect for adding a touch of greenery to any space without the need for watering or maintenance. Hello! I'm so happy that you decided to check out this easy succulent decoration project.   I was inspired to create this centerpiece after my sister mentioned she was looking at purchasing a succulent wax burner.  So my design does not include a wax burner, but if you stick around I'll tell you how you can create your very own succulent centerpiece table decoration.  Materials Needed ❤ Artificial Succulents and a flower  For my design, I used 4 succulent plants I purchased my  artificial succulents from my local Walmart (Make sure to check your local dollar store as well) ❤ A wooden bowl I purchased my wooden bowl at Walmart.  You can actually find any container of your choice at your local craft...

Simple, Creative, Pretty Gift Wrap Ideas.- A DIY Post.

Are you looking for some creative gift wrap ideas? If so, you have come to the right place. There's no better way to create a personalized package for someone special than this. It's simple, fun, and the result will be loved by you and the recipient. This craft allows you to use up any leftover materials, such as buttons, beads, and flower embellishments that you may have in storage. Here are the materials you'll need: - Craft flowers (paper, silk or foam) - Twine, string or ribbon - Craft hearts (fabric, foam or sticker) - Garland (any type) - Craft clothespins (any color) - Stamps and ink (any color and design) - Washi tape (decorative tape) - Hot glue or any craft glue - Plain gift wrap paper/tissue paper (any material) - Scissors To create your own wrapping paper, begin by cutting a piece that is the appropriate size for the box you are wrapping. Then, carefully wrap the paper around the box and use decorative tape to secure it. Now, it's time...

DIY Floral Wooden Jack‑O’‑Lanterns (Easy Fall Decor)

I’ve been having so much fun creating fall projects this year. These floral wooden jack‑o’‑lanterns  started as simple wooden pumpkins, but with a few pretty transfers and some soft paint colors, they turned into the sweetest little fall accents. I love how the florals give them a cozy, cottage‑style feel while still keeping that classic jack‑o’‑lantern charm. They’re quick to make, easy to customize, and such a cute way to add a warm autumn touch to your home. Watch the video tutorial Materials Wooden pumpkin cutouts Floral transfers Acrylic paint (your chosen colors) Gold acrylic paint Green acrylic paint Mini dowels Hot glue gun + glue sticks Small wooden stands Brown acrylic paint Paintbrushes   Add the floral transfers I started by placing my floral transfers onto each wooden pumpkin, just arranging them until they felt right. Once they were where I wanted them, I used a little rubbing tool to press them down and transfer the design onto the wood. Take your time with this...

All content copyright 2010-2026

I kindly request that my photos and words not be taken or used without my permission. If you have any inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact me. Additionally, for more information regarding this blog, please refer to the disclosure policy tab located above. Thank you.