Skip to main content

Easy DIY Scrap Wood Christmas Decoration

If you have scrap wood lying around and aren’t sure what to do with it, consider turning it into charming, budget-friendly Christmas decorations. With just a few simple supplies and a little holiday cheer, you can create adorable, personalized decorations that add a special touch to your celebrations. Gather your scrap wood, put on some festive music, and enjoy making handmade ornaments this season!


Quick Video Tutorial

Materials Needed:

  • Scrap wood pieces of any size or shape (I used three square pieces)
  • Acrylic paint (a base color plus accent colors)
  • Paintbrushes (large for base coats and small for outlining)
  • Mod Podge (for sealing decoupage)
  • Decorative pictures, holiday gift tags, napkin motifs, or printed images
  • Scissors (for cutting images)
  • Faux snow or Epsom salt (optional, for a snowy texture)
  • Mini holiday bows (available at Dollar Tree)
  • Hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • Twine (for hanging)
  •  Heat tool (optional, to speed up drying and help set the Mod Podge)

Applying paint

If your scrap wood is rough, lightly sand each piece before applying paint. This will help the paint adhere more smoothly. After sanding, be sure to wipe down each piece to remove any dust. I began by applying acrylic paint to each wood piece, choosing to paint each square white. To speed up the drying process, I used a heating tool between coats of paint.


Adding images and decoupaging the images

First, I use scissors to cut out decorative images. You can use a holiday napkin or printed pictures; I chose images from gift tags. If you're using a napkin, make sure to separate the printed layer from the backing and discard the backing.

Next, take your paintbrush and apply a thin layer of Mod Podge onto the painted wood surface. Position the cutout images over the Mod Podge and gently smooth them out to eliminate any wrinkles or bubbles. After that, apply another thin layer of Mod Podge over the top to seal the images. To speed up the drying process and help the Mod Podge set, I used a heat tool.



Adding an outline of paint

To enhance the color of my decorations, I used a smaller paintbrush to outline the wood scraps with paint. I chose colors like red, green, and gold.


Creating a snowy texture

To create a snowy texture, I chose to use Epsom salt, although faux snow is also an option. First, I applied glue to the areas where I wanted the snow to appear. Then, I sprinkled the Epsom salt over the glue and gently tapped off any excess. To help set the glue, I used a heating tool.


Adding the bow and twine

Use hot glue to attach the bows to each decoration. I found these adorable mini bows at Dollar Tree. Next, cut the twine into short lengths to create hanging loops. Apply hot glue to the back of the wooden piece, form a loop with the twine, and press it into the adhesive until it is securely in place.

This craft is quick, inexpensive, and flexible. It’s a creative way to repurpose scrap wood and gift tags you already have on hand, and each piece can be customized to match your holiday decor or to create heartfelt homemade gifts.


Pin Share Save


Comments

  1. I love this idea! And you've made such lovely christmas ornaments from the scrap wood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, thank you. Happy that you enjoyed them. 😊

      Delete
  2. What a brilliant idea! I especially love that used old Christmas cards, I never know what to do with those and some are so pretty I don't want to throw them away. Visiting from Create-it-Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, thank you! It was a fun repurpose project. Yes, those old cards can certainly be used in this craft! I'm glad you enjoyed this craft idea. Thank you for visiting. It's truly appreciated.

      Delete
  3. These are lovely, what a great use for scrap wood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply beautiful! Featuring you at Wednesdays in the Studio!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome! I love hearing your thoughts and seeing what you’ve been up to. Please leave a comment or ask a question below—I do my best to respond to everyone! To keep the blog comments safe and inspiring, spam will be removed. Thank you for being a part of this blogging space!

Popular posts from this blog

The Crazy Little Lovebirds Link Party 158

  Welcome to The Crazy Little Love Birds Link Party #158! I'm so happy you're here! This gathering is all about sharing what brings us joy.  Bring your delicious recipes, fun family moments, cozy crafts, and home projects—basically, everything wonderful you've been working on. Congratulations to our featured bloggers Mod Crochet Loopy Hair Ties Pattern — Val & Holland Val & Holland made the cutest loopy hair ties, and they’re just such a fun, quick little crochet project.  An Unexpected Adventure — Jennifer Jennifer shared how a long‑dreamed‑of getaway with her husband turned into a true adventure — steep trails, gorgeous waterfalls, a few shaky moments, and plenty of faith guiding her through. Creamy Paprika Salad Dressing — Scratch-Made Food Melynda has a creamy paprika dressing that’s simple, flavorful, and perfect for everyday meals. One of those easy homemade staples you’ll want to keep around. Jahresprojekt 2026 – August — Mami Made It Mami Made It shared he...

The Crazy Little Lovebirds Link Party 159

  Welcome to The Crazy Little Love Birds Link Party #159! I'm so happy you're here! This gathering is all about sharing what brings us joy.  Bring your delicious recipes, fun family moments, cozy crafts, and home projects—basically, everything wonderful you've been working on. Happy Friday, everyone! How's the weather where you live? We're enjoying some cooler temperatures, and the foliage on my trees is starting to change colors. I can't believe we're almost in October! We have an exciting trip planned for next month. I'll be working around the dates of our trip and the link party. As always, thank you all for joining the party; I truly appreciate each of you! Lisa Notes – What I Left Beneath Two Trees Lisa shared a reflective moment about planting two trees and letting go of what weighs us down. If you love quiet reminders to breathe and reset, you’ll enjoy this. Esme Salon – Sizzling Seafood Rice Feast Looking for a new recipe? This seafood rice dish ...

Easy Floral Decoupage Idea for Faux Pumpkin Display

 Hi everyone! I'm excited to share a simple and easy floral pumpkin design you can create quickly. Today, we will make a faux floral pumpkin display using decoupage and a few additional designs. I'm reusing a foam pumpkin that I bought at Dollar Tree. If you’re ready, let’s begin creating an easy floral decoupage faux pumpkin display! Quick video tutorial **Materials needed:** - Acrylic paint - Paintbrush - Floral napkin - Faux pearls - Faux flowers - Craft knife - Scissors - Mod Podge Carefully remove the top of your pumpkin. I used my craft knife to go around the top section, creating a hole at the top. Using a paintbrush, apply acrylic paint to the pumpkin. I chose to paint mine black. Next, use scissors to cut out a few flowers from your napkin. Make sure to remove the second layer of the napkin before cutting out the designs.   Once you have your floral designs cut out, use a paintbrush to apply Mod Podge to the pumpkin. While the Mod Podge is wet, add the floral napkin c...

DIY Floral Wooden Jack‑O’‑Lanterns (Easy Fall Decor)

I’ve been having so much fun creating fall projects this year. These floral wooden jack‑o’‑lanterns  started as simple wooden pumpkins, but with a few pretty transfers and some soft paint colors, they turned into the sweetest little fall accents. I love how the florals give them a cozy, cottage‑style feel while still keeping that classic jack‑o’‑lantern charm. They’re quick to make, easy to customize, and such a cute way to add a warm autumn touch to your home. Watch the video tutorial Materials Wooden pumpkin cutouts Floral transfers Acrylic paint (your chosen colors) Gold acrylic paint Green acrylic paint Mini dowels Hot glue gun + glue sticks Small wooden stands Brown acrylic paint Paintbrushes   Add the floral transfers I started by placing my floral transfers onto each wooden pumpkin, just arranging them until they felt right. Once they were where I wanted them, I used a little rubbing tool to press them down and transfer the design onto the wood. Take your time with this...

Create an Easy Fall Sign: DIY Tutorial with Faux Leaves and Thankful Design

  Learn how to create a beautiful fall sign with faux leaves and a thankful design in this easy DIY tutorial. Get creative with this fun craft project for the autumn season. I am thrilled to share with you an easy craft that involves making a wonderful fall sign using faux fall leaves and a beautiful thankful design. I used a decorative napkin that I had purchased earlier from Hobby Lobby for the thankful design.  The faux leaves used in this craft are from a wonderful fall party confetti pack that I also bought from Hobby Lobby. This pack consists of 300 assorted fall leaves, which means I will be using more of these wonderful leaves in other crafts too. If you are interested, I would love to take you through the process I used to create my wonderful fall sign. Materials Assorted faux fall leaves One floral craft ring (The size I am using is 6inches) One decorative napkin Paintbrush One wooden pumpkin Acrylic paint Twine Wooden Pumpkin Mod Podge Mini iron Adding the napkin to...

All content copyright 2010-2026

I kindly request that my photos and words not be taken or used without my permission. If you have any inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact me. Additionally, for more information regarding this blog, please refer to the disclosure policy tab located above. Thank you.